Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week 2

It's hard to believe I'm already in my second week of teaching English. Time has gone by so fast! I am just so busy trying to figure out what to teach and planning lessons that the day is over before I know it!

My adult class is still going very well. I am really happy that my two students that lost their barn to the fire were able to start coming again. (See my post from a few days ago on how you can help them). They had to miss some lessons because they had so much to clean up from the fire. Luckily, we have been able to schedule a few make up lessons so they are almost caught up! My adult class keeps growing. Now, there are women from the local Nazarene Church that are coming. I think it is wonderful that my hosts are opening it up to any one in the community because its lets me teach more people. I also think its wonderful when people from different backgrounds can get together, have a good time, and focus on one common goal. Sometimes I think people focuses on differences too much . . .

The kids in Padina are definitely a struggle to work with. It's really hard to keep their attention and its also hard having them at so many different levels. I have some kids around 10-11 years that are just about falling out of their seats their so eager to answer questions. Others, I cannot even get to say "this is a"or "she is." The little ones are even harder to teach because they have only had a year or two of English. I have a feeling some kids are coming more to be entertained by the foreigner than to learn. (Starting tomorrow, the youngest kids will have their won class.) One of the little ones that won't say anything in class was supposed to come today for a special lesson. I spent about 2.5 hours planning easy, pre-school level activities for her. When she got here and realized she would be the only one, she left. Sometimes it can be really frustrating with the little kids! Oh well. Luckily, I will work with the kids in Kovacicia tomorrow. They are all great and always so eager to learn!

The very first class I taught with all ages combined had one teen, now I am up to 7! If anyone has ESL/TEFL ideas for teens, let me know! I'm trying to get them to speak more, but they are still too shy!

I'm really looking forward to when I can settle into a routine schedule. I have four groups of kids that will hopefully each meet twice a week. I am trying to meet with the adults four times a week. Although, it ends up being more than that because of all the make up lessons. Sometime the adults have to miss class because of work (or fires!) or they join late. I don't want anyone to fall behind or be confused for the next lesson so I end up repeating a lot of the lessons. They are a joy to work with so I don't mind!

Wish me luck for tomorrow! I have the two groups of rowdy kids back-to-back! :/

No comments:

Post a Comment