Monday, April 19, 2010

Another world right beneath our feet

Sunday was a beautiful and sunny spring day here in Padina. I took some work outside to take advantage of the sun. As I was sitting on their porch, I looked down into her gardens and was surprised by the amount of life that I have never noticed before. I was almost as if it was another world in that garden. Dozens of little armies of ants were marching off in every different direction in search of food. Roly poly bugs were tumbling around the dirt not really going anywhere. There were a few different species of spiders jumping or scurrying through the dirt. And of course, the snail that I found two days earlier was within inches of the same spot. Maybe this garden just has more bugs than the average garden, but I was really surprised by the amount of movement and life in such a small space. Next time you are outside, don't forget to look down!
The picture below is of a spider I found in the garden. The others moved much to fast and I didn't want to risk them jumping on me! Only one more hour before I have to teach/baby sit the preschool kids, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment