Thursday, April 8, 2010

I love my adult class!

I only had two classes yesterday. The first was with the children (10 in that class). It did not go quite as well as I had hoped. I told Liljana she didn't have to stay in the class the whole time so maybe that's why the kids were a little crazy. It could also be because they do not have school this week and have lots of extra energy. The three teenagers didn't really want to have anything to do with the younger kids so I basically had to keep two separate groups occupied. I made a little board game to help the kids with "family"vocab. This is stuff they should have already learned in school so I thought it would be easy. They did ok in the beginning because they were excited to have a game, but then they started arguing over what space a person should be on. oh well. Today I am going to teach them body parts so we can do "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes"and the hokie pokie. That should help them burn off that extra energy! Today the teens will have their own class so that should really help.

The adults are great to work with! Janko (my host) even came to the class last night. He knows some English, but he wants to improve. Other than Janko, there are only 3 adults that come to class. At first I was disappointed that there were less people than I expected, but it's actually quite nice with such a small group. We can go through material much faster. I just worry that we are moving too fast. I try to start each class with a review of the previous lesson so hopefully that will help. I even gave them a short homework assignment. We learned the names of family members (mother, father, sister, etc). I asked them to write 2 sentences about each person in their family -it's not much, but hopefully it will help. I enjoy working with the adults because we can actually do lessons without them getting distracted like the kids.

That's all for now. We are off to the market!

No comments:

Post a Comment