Monday, April 26, 2010

On my own!

After three weeks of living with my wonderful hosts, I finally moved into the other house where I will be staying for the remainder of my time in Serbia. The house used to belong to my hosts father who is now living with them. This house will be the future house for any other volunteers or any church groups that come to Padina. It is a decent sized house with four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a kitchen. They recently renovated one of the bathrooms. I have use of the renovated bathroom, kitchen, and one bedroom. The other 3 rooms are filled with things that Janko's siblings still need to pick up.

I have mixed feelings about living alone. I will certainly miss Liljana's wonderful cooking (She just brought over a crepe for me! yumm) Luckily she still insists on cooking me lunch during the day. I definitely miss having internet connection at night - the new house does not have any internet access.

It is nice to be able to cook for myself. Although my host is a great cook, its nice to be able to make the food you are used to. Now if only I could find some mozzarella and Parmesan . . . . I also enjoy having some time alone. My hosts are great people, but it is really nice to have my own space. Plus, I think this is good for them as well - I couldn't imagine having a guest in my house for 2.5 months!

The biggest downside is being alone by myself at night. I'll admit it, I'm afraid of the dark. I don't being in my own house when Tom's not home. I don't even like to go into our basement at night when he's home! The refrigerator makes about 5 different noises that all sound like some one is in the house so I am a bit jumpy at night. I've never heard a fridge make those noises! I leave the hallway light on for now . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment