Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter! Although I am sure you all will be back to work today, the Easter celebrations continue through Monday here. That means two more church services in Padina today. I could even go to a third in the other town if I wanted, but its a rainy day so I will stay here.

I always enjoy seeing how holidays are celebrated in other countries. My favorite so far was a quick glimpse of a Christmas Eve Celebration in Ghana. There was drumming, dancing, singing, bright colors - it was great! Here in Padina, the Easter celebrations were quiet and very traditional (except for the little fair across the street!). There was a morning prayer service which included the singing of hymns and gave everyone in the church the opportunity to offer a public prayer. There is a lot more praying in the services here than back home. (So I decided to say a little prayer for all the extra piggies that had to be slaughtered for easter dinners) The second service(s) of the day were still traditional, but much more similar to what you would see in the US. Jano is the pastor of two churches, so there were two different afternoon services. The Sunday school class in each church did a small program for the adults. It was really cute! They sang songs like "Jesus loves me" in both slovak and in English. Then, they played some more songs using bells.

Although I cannot speak any Slovak or Serbian, both congregations have been very welcoming so far. The average age of the adults is probably around 70 - mainly women. The women here are the cutest little old women you could ever meet! Most gave me a warm hug or a kiss on each cheek. Hopefully we will be able to communicate eventually!

I have attended about 7 Easter services in the 4 days that I have been here. I guess that makes up for all the Easters I missed when I was working at Willow Valley! It's refreshing to be somewhere where the focus of the holiday is actually the reason the holiday exists. Of course I think its great any time families get together, but its a bit different than at home. My daily reminder that Easter was approaching was the Wal-mart commercial saying that you should buy your Easter baskets there. Holidays have become so commercial in the US (as well as other parts of the world) - Valentines day is the worst! It's completely media driven. Commercials and advertisements have trained us to believe that a diamond is the symbol of love and bigger is better. We are taught that a diamond is forever and are inundated with countless commercials telling us why we need to buy a diamond for valentines day. Isn't it funny how something that comes out of such a corrupt, loveless, and sometimes violent process has become the international symbol of love? I'll pass on the diamonds, a donation to a charity that does work that is important to me is just fine (like the Nature Conservancy) (And at least I don't have to worry if someone was killed/injured over the diamond on my finger or around my neck)

Sorry to end on a negative note, but I am just expressing how I feel. My first lessons will be tomorrow so I must go prepare. I'm not expecting much out of the first lessons other than to figure out what level the students are at. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment