Friday, May 14, 2010

Sr. Dorothy Stang

On Tuesday, I posted about a documentary I saw on the Amazon. I left out one very important person in my posting. For my former job, I worked with the Sisters of Notre Dame. Sr. Dorothy Stang, a Sister of Notre Dame, served in the Amazon for almost 40 years trying to help the locals live sustainably in the forest. She ultimately sacrificed her life for the land and the people that she came to love. Here is a quote from her website:
"Sister Dorothy Stang. She was Dot to her friends and family and Irma (Sister) Doroteia to the people in Brazil who took to calling her the "Angel of the Amazon" because of her passionate support of poor farmers' rights to the land and her protectiveness of the rainforest. Dorothy, a Sister of Notre Dame, devoted almost 40 years of her life to the people and land of Brazil. On February 12, 2005, two hired gunmen shot her six times thinking they had finally silenced this gentle, tenacious crusader for the poor."
If you are interested in reading more, you can go to this website, check out this BBC article, or simply google her name.

Thanks for the reminder Sr. Barbara Jean!

No comments:

Post a Comment