Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Generous Students

It is easy to forget that I am here as a volunteer and not getting paid - this really does feel like a real job. Time has gone by so fast, I just never really think about it. Over the last few days, I have received so many things as thank yous from my students. They may not pay anything for the classes, but they show their appreciate by giving what they can. Here is what I received in the past few days: a gallon of milk (straight from the cow and still a little warm), a huge block of homemade cheese, homemade apricot jam, a jar of canned cherries, a pot of sweet pepper mashed potatoes, rice with pickled cabbage, three squash, "vegetarian" ramen noodles because someone saw some in a shop when they were in Belgrade, and a small table runner for my birthday. I think that's all this week. I usually don't get that many things - this week was just special. I feel a little awkward when people give me things because I don't expect anything from them. This may be a quite little town, but the people here are some of the nicest you will ever meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment