Sunday, June 20, 2010

Time to Say Goodbye

The last week was a strange mix of emotions. On one hand, I was really sad to be leaving. I felt like I finally got the hang of teaching. English is such a difficult language, there was too much left to cover! On the other hand, I am so excited to be going home! The two emotional extremes basically canceled each other out and I really didn't feel much of anything when I left.

My long round of goodbyes started on my last Sunday in Padina. I attended my last service in Kovacica. That "goodbye" was the easiest because I hardly spent any time there and didn't know any of the adults at the church. I feel really awkward being recognized in public. I am happier just doing my work and not attracting any attention. But since my host viewed my work as sharing God's love, I was factored into the sermon. While he was thanking me for my work, one cute little old lady said, "What about her husband? We need to thank him to!" so for about 5 minutes, Tom was the topic of conversation in a small church in rural Serbia. They said they appreciated the sacrifice Tom made by letting me come here and the support he has given me. So Tom, the congregation of Kovacica thanks you! I got plenty of goodbye hugs and kisses from the members. I think the older people just liked having someone young at their church. The ladies will come up to you, pinch your checks, and give you a big hug and a kiss simply for being there.

Even though I would attend church with them on my last Wednesday, my official goodbye to the church in Padina was later that afternoon. Janko went through the same goodbye/thank you speech as in Kovacica, but this time he also brought up Tom. Padina thanks you as well, Tom! I received a few more hand made goodbye gifts to add to my already bursting suitcase.

The most difficult goodbyes were with the adults students. I enjoyed working with them the most so I will definitely miss them the most. I really hope I can come back in a few years and visit everyone.

Goodbye Serbia, Hello Home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment