Friday, June 11, 2010

Ethnic Museum

Earlier this week, my hosts, a student and her son, and I went to the ethnic museum in Padina. My hosts did not know about the museum before this, so this was their first time there too! The museum is free to the public and is run by a local couple. The museum included a very large collection of objects from Padina's 200+ year Slovak history. Because Padina was founded by settlers from Slovakia, the items are much closer to what you would see in Slovakia compared to the rest of Serbia. I was really surprised to see how colorful everything was. I was also surprised at how much this one couple had collected over the years! He even has some of the wicker suitcases that were brought over by the original settlers from Slovakia over 200 years ago. There is a picture of them below. You can see everything from traditional dishes to linens to outfits and more in the pictures below. The pictures outside the house show farming equipment, washboards, and other larger household items. Let me know if you have any questions!

I will be posting multiple times a day during my last week here, so make you sure scroll past this post to see all the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment