Friday, June 25, 2010

Subsistence Farming - Raising Your Own Meat

I posted some pictures a few weeks ago of my visit to a student's house (the one with all the kittens!). Her rabbit recently had babies so she invited me over to see them and take more pictures.

Visiting her house is an interesting mix of emotions. I absolutely love animals so I enjoyed being there and seeing all the animals - especially cuddling the kittens! I also absolutely adore my student and loved spending time with her. On the other hand, it's hard to think that all the animals, excluding the cats and dogs, are raised for meat. Even the baby bunnies will eventually be turned into meat.

Subsistence farming, whether animals or crops, is a large part of life in Padina. People cannot afford to go to a grocery store and buy meat. If they want meat, they need to raise it. Pigs are bought when they are very young. Baby chickens, ducks, and turkeys can all be bought at the local market, usually for less than a dollar. I couldn't imagine raising an animal and then killing it for food, but that is how life is in many countries around the world. Although this concept is foreign to us, it's actually much more environmentally friendly than how we get our meat. Think of all the resources that go into producing the meat that you eat. From the farm to the factory to the packaging and then to the store, a lot of resources are consumed. Even though most of us might have a hard time raising our own meat, subsistence farming sure is a better environmental option.

I would consider having chickens one day - but just for eggs. I saw one chicken laying awkwardly against a wall. I asked her what the chicken was doing. She said it was probably laying an egg. Sure enough, when she picked up the chicken, there was an egg underneath! Many people also used fresh cows milk and homemade cheese. not everyone has a cow, but there is usually at least one person in the extended family that can supply the others with milk.

The last few pictures are from a visit to a church member's house. Her grandchildren had two adorable kittens. The black and white kitten cuddled in my arms for about a half hour. He would meow in protest every time that I stopped petting him. Enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment